The Northern Ireland War Memorial and Home Front Exhibition was set up to meet four requirements: A memorial to those who sacrificed their lives in World War One and World War Two; a Hall of Friendship to record the friendship between the people of Northern Ireland and the American and Belgian forces during World War Two; offices for service charities and entertainment facilities for ex-servicemen.
A site in Waring Street that had been bombed during the Blitz in May 1941 was chosen for the building. Memorial House was opened by HM The Queen Mother in 1963.
In 1996 a permanent exhibition was set up to illustrate the role of Northern Ireland and its people in the Allied Victory in World War Two.
In 2006 it was decided to sell Memorial House and move to accommodation in a new building at 21 Talbot Street, which incorporates a new Hall of Friendship. Included in the exhibition is the original stained glass memorial window by Stanley Murray Scott, the Belgian marble War Memorial wall, the copper frieze by James McKendry and the two Rolls of Honour – all from the original War Memorial on Waring Street.
- Contact Us